Tuesday, February 3, 2015

I am a dinosaur

After the first day of the Creative Teaching Techniques course from Framingham State U I realize the lack of technology use in my classes and, to be honest, my lack of knowledge about how to use technology as part of a class.
I would like to improve as a teacher by learning more about the technology solutions that I can implement in my lessons. This will undoubtedly make me a better teacher, as well as improve the experience for my students. But the programs and how to use them are not the most important things I could learn during this course.
Gaining the skills and more importantly courage to implement new technology in the classroom would be the real key for me. A lot of the organizations we talked about have good supporting materials so going through that might shed light on the topic. I found that ISTE has a nice selection of videos on their YouTube channel of educators sharing their stories. This could be a good first step.

The use of technology in the classroom is not yet ubiquitous, so perhaps I can be forgiven for being slow on the up take. But when I give it some thought, the idea of giving my students computers, phones, or tablets sounds daunting. I feel it would just be easier to just give them all knives.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that we will need the fortitude to actually make the changes in our classrooms. It cannot just be lip service.

    ReplyDelete